Aleia & I have been making our own granola for 3 years now & she absolutely loves it. She loves getting all the ingredients, mixing everything up & baking it. More importantly she enjoys the finish products for weeks & it has become her favourite snack on top of Greek yogurt.
Plus this recipe is delicious and healthy! It is naturally sweetened with maple syrup, made with whole grains, unrefined oil (coconut oil) & your favourite nuts and dried fruit.
You will need:
4 cups rolled oats
2 cups of raw nuts (sliced almonds, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds)
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
4 generous tablespoon of melted peanut butter (Aleia loves peanut butter so I love adding this for flavour)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of coconut flakes
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup of dried fruit (cranberries, sometimes we use apricots)
1/3 cup Nature’s Path Qi’a Superfood (Chia seeds, buckwheat and hemp cereal)
*sprinkle of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients & mix.
- Pour the melted coconut oil, peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well, until every oat and nut is lightly coated. Pour the granola onto your prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 21 to 24 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Let the granola cool completely.
- Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks, or in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
* I like to store mine in mason jars.